This page is to assist those leaving the Regiment in their transition to civilian life and jobs. We cannot however give advice but as you will see from many of the links below they will help steer you to an organisation that will. Good luck.

Veterans Gateway

From healthcare and housing to employability, and more. Get in touch so that we can refer you directly to our expert, vetted partners.

For 24 Hour Support:

Telephone: 0808 802 1212

Text: 81212

Officers Association

We exist to help officers find employment and to relieve hardship amongst those who have held a commission in the Armed Forces, their families and dependants.

Job Seekers: Telephone: 0203 761 6343

Armed Forces Directory – South East Wales

The AFD for South East Wales is an informative guide for the areas of: Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen. Inside you will find links to: Community and Veteran Groups, Education, Employment, Finance, Health and Wellbeing, Housing, Leisure and the Criminal Justice System.

South East Wales Armed For

Armed Forces Covenant News – Wales

The Covenant is a promise from the nation ensuring that those who serve and have served in the Armed Forces and their families are treated fairly.

AFC News – Issue 5

Salute my Job

Council Veteran Advice Service: Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Merthyr Tydfil

The Veteran Advice Service provides free information, advice, and support to members of the Armed Forces Community within 4 Local Authorities. The service covers a range of areas, including Benefits, Adult Social Care, Finances, Employment and Housing. The Service is available to Armed Forces personnel, Veterans, reservists, and family members.

Referrals can be made by contacting your Veteran Advice Officer 24/7 online, email or telephone:


Kelsea Obrien

Tel: 07980953539


Vale of Glamorgan:

Abigail Warburton

Tel: 07725704655


Cwm Taff:

Jamie Ireland

Tel: 07747485619


Veteran and Ex Service Personnel Health

A veteran is commonly defined as

Anyone who has previously served in the UK Armed Forces, both regular Forces (including National Service or the Home Guard) or Reserve/ Auxiliary Forces, the Mercantile Marines in hostile waters; the Allied Civil Police Forces; full-time, in uniform for a Volunteer Aid Society in direct support of the Armed Forces; or as a British subject serving under British command in the forces of an allied nation.’ (Royal British Legion, 2014)

The healthcare needs of Serving members of the Armed Forces are generally met by military general practitioners (GPs) in their respective service (i.e. Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force), and would therefore not usually register with a GP as an everyday civilian.

Once an individual leaves the Armed Forces and becomes a veteran, they will then need to register with a general practice to access primary healthcare services, alongside their family.

All Armed Forces veterans are entitled to receive priority access to NHS care (including hospital, primary or community care) for any conditions (mental and physical) which are likely related to, or resulting from their military service (service related).